Friday 5 July 2013

The Dry Shampoo Contest


I am an avid dry shampoo user. My hair tends to get very oily at the roots but since it is not good to wash your hair everyday, I rely on the stuff to extend the time between washes which lets be honest here, is only every two days and not every three to four days (my hair would be serious grease ball styles if I left it that long). I use it every second day when I haven't washed my hair the night before. I have tried many different dry shampoos in a bid to find the perfect one. In this contest, I will be comparing 4 of the most recent dry shampoos that I have used which are easily accessible from Priceline, Woolworths etc. I will look at 3 different areas in particular: effectiveness, smell and value for money. 


Toni & Guy Cleanse Dry Shampoo - $15.99 (250ml)


Effectiveness: The effectiveness of this dry shampoo is decent; however, I feel like I need to use quite a bit of product to get my hair to the point where it doesn't look like a hot mess. Does it's job, but nothing to dance around about. Rating: 3/5. 

Value for Money: This dry shampoo is on the slightly higher end in terms of price when you compare it to other dry shampoos in Priceline and Woolworths, but there are always sales so I suggest to wait until it goes on sale. Rating: 3/5. 

Smell: Loveeeee the scent of this. It smells like a salon and lingers in your hair for a few hours after spraying it. If you're not one for scents or are sensitive to scents, skip this. Rating: 4/5. 

Overall Rating: 10/15



Batiste Dry Shampoo - $9.99 (200ml)

Effectiveness: The effectiveness of this dry shampoo is decent; however, I feel like I need to use quite a bit of product to get my hair to the point where it doesn't look like a hot mess. Does it's job, but nothing to dance around about. Rating: 4/5.  

Value for Money: I feel like for the price and the amount you get, it is great value for money. Rating: 4/5.  

Smell: The great thing about this dry shampoo is that there are many different scents for you to choose from. I'm sure you could find one that you like. My favourites are the tropical and the blush scents. Rating: 4/5.  


Overall Rating: 12/15


Lush No Drought Dry Shampoo - $13.50 (115g)

Effectiveness: This dry shampoo does a decent job at soaking up the oils and adds some volume to your hair while it's at it. This one is a little different in comparison to other dry shampoos as it is a white powder. I find that this is best for night time use because it's too fiddly to use in the morning. In fact, every time I use it white powder falls on my face. How I use it is to apply this to my roots at night, sleep on it and let it soak up the oils at night which means no white cast and less dry shampoo use in the morning. Rating: 3.5/5.  

Value for Money: This product will last f.o.r.e.v.e.r. I have had this product for several months now but does not look like it's been touched. Rating: 5/5

Smell: For me, the downside of this product lies in the smell. It says it's meant to be a light citrus scent but to me it smells like lemon-scented toilet cleaner. Luckily I don't find that the smell lingers in the hair. Rating: 1/5.  

Overall Rating: 9.5/15



Tre Semme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo - $11.49 (170ml)
This product is not pictured because well, it's in the trash. I tried it several times before succumbing to the fact that it just did not agree with my hair. I have heard numerous people say great things about this dry shampoo but for me, it did not like my hair. It is an aerosol can, like most dry shampoos out there. 

Effectiveness: To put it bluntly, this product made my hair look oilier than it originally was and left a sticky, tacky product-laden feeling in my hair. Not effective at all for me. Rating: 0/5.  

Value for Money: This product is not too bad in terms of value for money for the amount of product you get, but did I mention the sticky, oily feeling that I got in my hair after using it (Nope? Didn't think so!). In that sense, this wasn't value for money but a waste of money for me (sorry, Tre Semme). Rating: 3/5.  

Smell: This product does smell amazing. It smells like you have just been to the hairdressers kinda smell. This didn't make up for the fact that my hair looked worse after. Rating: 4/5.   

Overall Rating: 7/15




CONTEST WINNERS

Overall
The overall winner has to go to the Batiste Dry Shampoo. They are the most effective and convenient dry shampoos in my books with some great scents. I will always have one of these on my dressing table. Honourable mention does go to the Lush No Drought Dry Shampoo as I tend to use both on the days I don't wash my hair. Lush's dry shampoo is used at night to soak up those oils overnight and Batiste is used in the morning to tend to those oilier sections. 

Value for money 
Hands down, Lush's No Drought Dry Shampoo is the most value for money dry shampoo I have tried so far. Who knows when I will need to purchase another one. It'll probably expire before then!

Smell
Toni & Guy's Cleanse Dry Shampoo. Mmm.. salon smelling hair...



What dry shampoos do you like?

Jess
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment