Monday, 27 May 2013
What's on the breakfast menu?
I have been making this toasted museli fortnightly for almost the last year now. I love museli, but I find that the ones in the grocery stores quite expensive for the amount you get and I never feel that there are enough of the good stuff (i.e., dried apricots!). So hence, I sought out to make my own. It works out cheaper and I can add what I like in it. The following recipe is my preference; however, tweak it to your liking!
- 3 cups of rolled oats (I use Lowan Wholegrain Rolled Oats)
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut (I use Macro Shredded Coconut which you can find at Woolworths
- 1/2 cup of pepitas
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup of almonds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of 'honey syrup' (1 tbsp of honey melted with 1 tbsp of hot water)
- 1/4 cup of dried fruit (I use a mixture of sultanas, dried apricots and dried pears)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Add the rolled oats, shredded coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds and cinnamon into a bowl and mix together
3. Add in the honey syrup and mix well
4. Lay the museli out onto a baking tray in one even layer
5. Bake for 10 minutes and then stir the museli around to avoid burning it
6. Bake for another 5 minutes; however, keep checking back on your muesli - you don't want it to burn!
7. Let your toasted museli cool
8. Finally, mix in your dried fruit
Mine lasts for 1-2 weeks in my household :)