Thursday 6 June 2013

Fuelling my candle addiction...

In the past couple of years I have grown to love candles. I love the way they fill the apartment with an amazing aroma. I particularly love candles in the winter. There's something so homely and cosy about lighting a candle and drinking a cup of tea, coffee or even a hot chocolate! The best candles I've tried are the Glasshouse Fragrance Candles and love Bordeaux and Monte Carlo the best. Bordeaux is described as a vanilla, dark-chocolate and hazelnut scented candle and Monte Carlo is a fig and guava scented candle. However, at $39.95 for a 350g candle they are not the cheapest things to buy. I find it hard to justify almost $40 for a single candle. 

So in comes the little DIY-er in me! I purchased all the necessary bits and pieces (e.g., wicks, jars, soy wax, fragrance) from Aussie Candle Supplies. Shipping was reasonable and didn't take too long to get to me in Melbourne from Perth. The site has instruction sheets that tell you how to make your own candle. Turns out making a candle isn't as simple as melt the wax, add in your fragrance and pour. You have to work out the % of fragrance load that your wax, your pouring temperature, melting temperature etc. 




This was my second attempt at making a candle. The first time I made a candle I used only 1 wick but I found that it didn't burn nice and evenly. Candle-making is all about trial and error I've found. I will make a more detailed blog post after I work out the best method with my supplies. The one burning here is Hot Fudge Brownie which smells amazing! I purchased this fragrance from Live in Spirit - a candle supply shop here in Melbourne. 

Now that I've had a taste for making candles I want to make more in all different scents! I think I have a new addiction...

Have you ever tried making your own candles before?



Jess
xoxo


1 comment:

  1. I've never tried making my own candles, I'd imagine it'd be really messy. I do love the room diffusers that are everywhere at the moment because they last so long.

    www.northwesternbeauty.com xx

    ReplyDelete