Monday 27 May 2013

What's on the breakfast menu?





I have been making this toasted museli fortnightly for almost the last year now. I love museli, but I find that the ones in the grocery stores quite expensive for the amount you get and I never feel that there are enough of the good stuff (i.e., dried apricots!). So hence, I sought out to make my own. It works out cheaper and I can add what I like in it. The following recipe is my preference; however, tweak it to your liking! 

Ingredients
- 3 cups of rolled oats (I use Lowan Wholegrain Rolled Oats) 
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut (I use Macro Shredded Coconut which you can find at Woolworths
- 1/2 cup of pepitas
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup of almonds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of 'honey syrup' (1 tbsp of honey melted with 1 tbsp of hot water)
- 1/4 cup of dried fruit (I use a mixture of sultanas, dried apricots and dried pears)

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius 
2. Add the rolled oats, shredded coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds and cinnamon into a bowl and mix together
3. Add in the honey syrup and mix well
4. Lay the museli out onto a baking tray in one even layer 
5. Bake for 10 minutes and then stir the museli around to avoid burning it
6. Bake for another 5 minutes; however, keep checking back on your muesli - you don't want it to burn!
7. Let your toasted museli cool
8. Finally, mix in your dried fruit
9. Enjoy!

Mine lasts for 1-2 weeks in my household :)

Jess 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! You are so clever. I will have to put in the effort and give it a try one day.

    x Eve

    ReplyDelete